Monday, January 25, 2010

Luke

Happy Monday!

Weʼve entered a new phase of our reading together. This week we begin the second half of our schedule and from here on the readings will come from the New Testament. Personally, Iʼm really glad to have read so much from the prophets recently. Sure, it was a little “doom and gloom” in places, but at least for me, it seemed that everyday the prophets were speaking directly into my own life.

Those last sections of Isaiah though...those chapters contain some of my absolute favorite pieces of writing anywhere. To begin the week last week with the words, “Comfort, comfort my people...” - I suspect that I wasnʼt the only one who needed to hear those words. As I reminded our friends gathered together yesterday morning, the role of the prophets is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. The Israelites in captivity (chps 40-55) and returning to a destroyed Jerusalem (chps 56-66) were no longer comfortable.

It struck me, as it often does, that it is very difficult to treat issues of social justice, freedom for the oppressed, care for the poor and concern for the forgotten as a “special interest” ministry. When we actually read the Scriptures those issues seem to play a very prominent role in descriptions of what it means to follow God faithfully.

And then our reading this morning begins not only with two substantial quotes from Isaiah (chp 40 quoted in Luke 3 and chp 61 quoted in Luke 4), but also ties the nature of Jesusʼ ministry so directly to this call for justice for the poor and oppressed.

I pray that you will find your story in the Story of Jesus this week. Next week weʼll read 2nd Luke (also known as Acts) and then finish Matthew, read Ephesians and John and our 40 days of reading will be fulfilled.

If youʼve gotten behind in your reading I encourage you to do two things. First, donʼt become overloaded with guilt or stress about not keeping with the schedule. The main goal is to spend significant time each day reading from Godʼs Word, not to accomplish a certain amount of reading.

Second, donʼt let yourself off the hook just because thereʼs no guilt being laid on you. This is a chance to challenge yourself, to be immersed in Godʼs word - this is not something that anyone else can do for you.

I am anticipating miracles this week. I donʼt know where God will bring transformation, but I believe that its coming. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment